Search This Blog

15 March 2009

Upgrading the SD card

Step 1, I wanted to backup existing data on the current card. I turned off the phone, put the 1GB sd into the laptop, and copied all files to the computer. I popped the 16GB sd into the computer and copied the files back. Put the card into the phone and booted up. All works fine.

Next was to move some of the caches off the phone memory and put them into the sd. I followed these instructions to do that. Originally I was doing it from the Terminal Emulator, but running 'adb shell' was much easier.

Thinking about trying this to move the apps to the sdcard, but think I want to find an easier way...

14 March 2009

Upgrading the ADP1 from the default 1.0 firmware to the official 1.1 firmware

I was planning on using my OpenSolaris box to do my Android development, but currently I don't have the time to try to port the SDK.  I didn't want to allocate permanent memory to a linux xVM, so instead of using Xen, I decided to use VirtualBox to run Linux to work on the Android development...  VirtualBox can not be run on a system booted into HVM mode, so that meant running Linux in VirtualBox on Windows instead.  Since my x64 machine has a habit of crashing whenever I plug in USB devices anymore, I decided to do it on my laptop.

Unfortunately, after getting the SDK and Eclipse (yuck) and the JDK installed - I couldn't get adb to work inside the VirtualBox version of Ubuntu.  I gave up on that for now and decided to update the phone via Windows.

I extracted the SDK and then put the fastboot binary (available here) into the tools subdirectory.
When you plug the device in, it will prompt you for drivers. They are in the usb_drivers/x86 subdirectory.

Here's the dos prompt portion of the instructions above... how to boot, fastboot, etc is covered in that doc.

C:\devel\Android>adb devices
HT846GZ39410 device

C:\devel\Android>adb push 1.1\ /sdcard/
1155 KB/s (0 bytes in 9131603.007s)

C:\devel\Android>fastboot update 1.1\
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
< waiting for device >

Unfortunately, it never gets past that point. Trying to run 'adb devices' or 'fastboot devices' both show no devices.  Booting into the phone normally, adb works again.

The solution, unfortunately, is to replace the drivers again...

1. Boot device into fastboot, connect to PC
2. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device
Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  a. Observe that there is a USB Mass Storage Device there
3. Right-click USB Mass Storage Device and select Uninstall
3b. unplug it and plug it back in
4. Windows then prompts with with New Hardware Found Wizard. Pointed
this to the USB driver included in the SDK

C:\devel\Android>fastboot devices
HT846GZ39410    fastboot

C:\devel\Android>fastboot update 1.1\
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Bootloader Version...: 0.95.3000
Baseband Version.....:
Serial Number........: HT846GZ39410
checking product... OKAY
checking serialno... OKAY
checking version-baseband... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
checking version-cpld... OKAY
sending 'boot' (1500 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
sending 'recovery' (1722 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
sending 'system' (53645 KB)... OKAY
writing 'system'... OKAY

At this point, 'fastboot devices' and 'adb devices' both work...

Go into the Market app and install “Latitude Enabler for Root”.  Reboot.

[Official] Flashing your Android Dev Phone with a Factory System Image

07 January 2009

Installing the SDK

These instructions have been deprecated since the Linux SDK won't work on OpenSolaris (unlike IntelliJ or MPS)... I will post updated OpenSolaris instructions once I figure it out.

  1. Download the Linux version of the SDK from here.
  2. open a terminal
  3. pfexec sudo su - root
  4. cd /opt
  5. unzip ~username/Download/ (or whatever the name currently is)
  6. chown -R root:staff android-sdk-linux_x86-1.0_r2
  7. ln -s android-sdk-linux_x86-1.0_r2 android-sdk
  8. exit
  9. vi ~/.bashrc (or gedit .profile or whatever)
  • add: export ANDROID_HOME=/opt/android-sdk
  • add: export PATH=$PATH:$ANDROID_HOME/tools

Android support for IntelliJ 8

I was trying to install this plugin to enable Android support in IntelliJ 8 (Linux version on OpenSolaris). It kept failing to install the plugin.

The terminal showed:
Execute unzip[/export/home/malachi/.IntelliJIdea80/system/plugins/, /export/home/malachi/.IntelliJIdea80/config/plugins]
Execute delete[/export/home/malachi/.IntelliJIdea80/system/plugins/]

Extract the lib/android.jar from directly into ~/.IntelliJIdea80/config/plugins (not into ~/.IntelliJIdea80/config/plugins/lib)
Start IntelliJ